You do not need to know the science behind wine or even much about it at all in order to enjoy a nice glass of red or white wine. However, it can be fun to learn a few facts that can be fun to amaze your friends with at the next social event. Some are interesting, some are funny, and some are just beyond quirky.
- The Spanish drink called Kalimotxo is made by mixing cola with red wine. It is served over plenty of ice and tastes far better than it sounds.
- The reason we have both red and white wine is because some wine is produced leaving the skin on the grape, resulting in red wine, yet is removed early in the process to produce white wine.
- When people pour their own glass of wine, they are likely to pour 9% more at a time when serving white wine over red. This was the conclusion of a study by Cornell University.
- Some people make a homemade wine using grape juice instead of grapes themselves. Other juices are also used for this unconventional wine. This is not a new development in the world of home brewing. Rural folks have been doing this, as well as making wine from anything they can squeeze, be it elderberries, blueberries, or blackberries, for decades. Perhaps this began back during prohibition when grape concentrate muscatel wine was about all you could find at the local speakeasy unless you were fortunate enough to have connections for imported wine.
- Michael Jackson once confessed that he drank wine out of a Coke can so his children wouldn’t see he was drinking an alcoholic beverage.
- Music can influence what wine you buy. For example, if the store is playing German music, you’re more likely to buy German wine.
- Hippocrates, the father of western medicine, prescribed wine for numerous ailments. Yet it took until more recently for modern medicine to recognize that red wine consumption can help your heart stay healthy because of the antioxidants and its ability to raise the good cholesterol in your body.
- Plato didn’t think those between 18 and 30 should have too much wine, but those over 40 should have all they wanted, as it was rejuvenating.
At Cabo Winery in Concord, North Carolina, we think funny and quirky things about red and white wine are a lot of fun. We also think a winery should be fun, and we are confident that when you stop by and see us, you’ll see that we’ve succeeded in providing a welcoming environment to sit around and share wine stories. We’ve heard most of them, but we’re always happy to add to our knowledge base, so come by and tell us yours!